I found this interesting

2 posters

Go down

I found this interesting Empty I found this interesting

Post by Maxx 14.05.15 10:06

A review of the book Oedipus and Akhnaton:  Myth and history...by Immanuel Velikovsky.  This review was written by a scientist.  Seems the book caused quite a stir in the mid 50s.

At the beginning of this book Immanuel Velikovsky asks the intriguing, and quite reasonable, question: Why does the Oedipus legend have a sphinx outside of the Greek city of Thebes, when the sphinx is not part of Greek mythology? He then points out that Egypt, which has a very famous sphinx, also has a city named Thebes. Could the Oedipus legend be a Greek retelling of a historical event that took place in Egypt? From these speculations Velikovsky goes on to present an immense body of data and convincing interpretation of such data, to show that events and people surrounding the ancient Egyptian Pharaoh, Akhnaton, correspond to the major elements and characters in the Oedipus story. This is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. I realize that many scientists are highly skeptical of Velikovsky's books showing various allegedly mythical stories to have a basis in historical evidence. I am a scientist with 44 years experience at a major research laboratory, and I find many of Velikovsky's positions to be both logical and based on sound historical and archeological evidence. Velikovsky was not a crackpot as some would claim; rather he was one of the most brilliant thinkers of the 20th century.
Maxx
Maxx
Master
Master

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

I found this interesting Empty Re: I found this interesting

Post by Maxx 14.05.15 10:12

another comment on the above.

The "Highly Respected Scientists" that did so much to damn Velikovsky were merely defending their turf.
If he was right, they were as ignorant as their students and would have had to go back to doing research.
Carl Sagan, a really talented wordsmith, and a renowned astrophysicist did not question the physics of Worlds in Collision and/or Earth in Upheaval. He attacked the "manna from heaven."
Asimov, an organic chemist took on the physics and ignored the manna.

In their debates, the two talented speakers of English challenged Velikovsky, a Russian professor who spoke many languages, but not with the fluidity of his opponents did poorly.

The big oil companies considered his ideas and sent their geologists to areas that conventional theories said would yield no oil. A cousin of mine spent decades in the jungles of Venezuela making Esso rich.

Real science welcomes new ideas and explores them happily. It doesn't blackmail publishers to prevent books from being published and force lecture halls to cancel their invitations to speak.
Maxx
Maxx
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxx 14.05.15 11:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7EAlTcZFwY
Maxx
Maxx
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxx 23.06.18 20:11

I had forgotten this video above but it is done very well. Good visuals and can see some sites that are worthwhile even today. There is a second video that goes with it.
Maxx
Maxx
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by 8lou1 05.07.18 9:55

although, i know the names you mention and the books and movies, ive never heard of oedipus being of egyptian origin. its nice to have some new input, might give me the change to answer some silly questions i have in my head. like what is the greek lie (has something to do with mesopetamia, but other then that no clue here) or whatsup with all the incestuous ways i find in so many spiritual paths. (and with that i mean spiritual mums and dads in voudou or spiritual brothers and sisters in lodges but also in islam.)

thank  you Smile
8lou1
8lou1
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2013-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down